Friday, March 13, 2015

Handcrafted 1909 fluid & fare in downtown Temecula

I was in Temecula for a sad affair during the weekend but on Sunday decided with it being such a nice day to look for a liquor store I had frequent before to bring beer back with me the following Monday.  I was with my sister, Dana and cousin, Dot who drove us to downtown Temecula.
With my iPhone in hand as to reference the building number, we walked downtown looking for the elusive liquor store, when we can across this grey/black building with only a number for a name, 1909.  The building has a long history including being a tough bar in the 1970's where bullet holes can still be seen in the ceiling.

1909 has 24 taps of local and regional California craft beers. There was a wide range of beer styles for everyone, Belgian style, IPA's, Hefeweizens, Stouts/Porters, and more. The one page food menu has the usual sandwiches, burgers, salads, starters, and larger entrees.  They also have a brunch menu on Saturday and Sunday.

I couldn't resist and ordered a Belching Beaver Peanut Butter stout at 5.3% ABV, which was a nice starter. It was as good as I remembered from the Beer Bloggers Conference last August. My next selection was a beer I've never had before from a brewery I never knew about, Hangar 24 chocolate Porter, 8.0% ABV and it was pretty good.

We also ordered some small plates to share, the Bavarian style pretzel with mustard was good but the shrimp and chorizo sausage in a white sauce was too spicy. Oh well, I will not order that if I ever go back to 1909 again.

It's always a surprise when you stumble upon a quality craft beer tap house.  I wasn't expecting it to be up to the standards that is in Colorado.  I know, kind of snobbish of me but you get spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment